Skip to content
Dissociation is the breaking down of a compound into elements and the process is usually reversible.
- The word dissociate and disassociate have similar meaning – to remove from being connected.
- When a compound dissociates, the molecular bonds are broken.
IONIC COMPOUND DISSOCIATION
For more reading, please refer to sodium chloride dissociation in the process of solvation.
- All ionic compound dissociate when they dissolve in water.
- Ionic compounds are those molecules that consist of atoms called ions with opposite charges.
- An example is Sodium Choride (table salt)
NaCl —> Na(+) + Cl(-) in solutions